15 January 2006

London Buses

Of all the vehicles in the London traffic, I find the Famous double decker bus to be the most annoying. I have no logical reason for this, it doesn't appear to be any slower on its "feet" than the normal size buses. It's not wider or longer than them, actually the "benda" buses are way longer and they don't tickle my temper the way a the double deckers do. The only difference really is the height of the bus and it's not like I would be able to drive over the top of the bus anyway, not until I have got a "hover-conversion" applied to the the car.

Ah well, another one for the psychiatrist.

5 comments:

eric ingram said...

maybe because they are "famous" or because they're more likely to tip over and crush you and your car (i have no evidence or statistics of this, it just seems that way)?

Michael Manning said...

Of course for me seeing double-deckers is such a novelty that I associate so strongly with England that I find them pleasing and a reassuring site. But in the Southwest US, we had bending buses which were a nightmare and rather foolish in their design. The main cab was 1/4 the size of a one-piece bus. The "entension" carried the engine and about 4 feet extra length. They were eventually withdrawn from use. No psychiatrist needed!

Thomas Siefert said...

Eric: I think they are more likely to get stuck under bridges when stolen.
The only statistic I have to support this claim is that it happened when a drunk guy stole a bus in Perth, Australia, last year.

Thomas Siefert said...

Michael: I mostly associate them with Singapore were we lived for a while. The older ones are ten cents cheaper on the fare but then they don't have any airconditioning.

RennyBA said...

For me these busses *is* London and I think it is charming. You can even have a peek in the Queen's garden going with one of them! We have one of them (but only one!) in Oslo as well. For turists of course:-)