16 December 2005

Henbury Meteor Crater

In '96, when I was in Australia for the first time, I spent some time in Alice Springs. My girlfriend, her flatmate and me rented a car for the journey deep outback to Uluru or Ayers Rock as it used to be called. On the way back we took a slightly shorter, but indefinitely bumpy, dirt road that took us past the largest of the Henbury Meteor Craters. It's so far from everything that you could probably spend days there without seeing other people, a truly peaceful place on earth.

Fast forward nine years.

The other day here in London my wife (the girlfriend from back then) and I were at the Natural History Museum. At the exhibition of meteorites we came face to face with one of the fragments from the Henbury Meteor. We had come full circle.

We saw the impact crater in one of the most desert places in the world and the meteorite in one of the busiest cities of the world. I wonder if it some day will the other way around?

Want to know more?
Henbury Meteor:
Wikipedia
Photo of crater
Fragment on London Natural History Museum

No comments: